The Art of Audiobook Narration – Calgary
Saturday, Oct 5, 2019 – Sunday, Oct 6, 2019
10:00am – 6:00pm
While paper and e-book sales continue their steady downward decline, the audiobook industry continues to grow by leaps and bounds, increasing by approximately 20-25% year after year after year. Learn what it takes to become a part of this exploding industry with this weekend workshop, the only one of its kind in North America.
Taught by Dawn Harvey, an award-winning audiobook narrator, this course will cover audiobook basics such as:
- fiction and non-fiction considerations;
- 1st person vs. 3rd person reads;
- the roles and responsibilities of the narrator;
- audiobook preparation (including access to Dawn’s one of a kind audiobook preparation spreadsheet);
- researching tools (including links to the best resources);
- “casting” your novel;
- handling dialogue including other genders;
- accent/dialect considerations and tools;
- connecting with the text for an authentic read;
- and more!
Students will learn from a combination of lecture and one-on-one instruction as they work through 3 selections, 2 fiction and 1 non-fiction. A session in the studio will be recorded for you and will include Dawn’s direction of your read. (NOTE: Due to the advanced nature of this class, previous voiceover and/or acting experience is required. This course is usually offered only once annually.)
Prerequisite: Previous voice over and/or acting experience – please detail in the registration form.
Class fee: $500 + tax
Early Bird Registration: $450 + tax
Event LocationThe Beach Audio
619 11 Avenue SE
Calgary, Alberta, T2G 0Y8